Two Guys, Two Girls and a Submit Button

Life doesn't suck. Our lives suck.



Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's half of a love/hate relationship


Guess which half.

I made a terrible mistake in 2001. Well, I made many terrible mistakes in 2001, but I'm only going to talk about one right now.

I subscribed to Spin magazine. I fell for some sort of "two years for $10" type of deal. Ugh. And, because I'm a moron, I resubscribed a few years later under the same deal. But soon after I learned my lesson, and never gave them another cent. Which is why it's so surprising that now, 3 years after my subscription ended, they still send me magazines (often along with those annoying "hurry! this may be your last issue!" letters).

It's like Spin is an alley cat that I fed once and now won't leave me alone.

I'll spare you (and myself) an in-depth discussion of why it's a terrible magazine, and instead just give one example.

In the latest issue they reviewed 57 new albums using a star rating system:
1 star: poor
2 stars: fair
3 stars: good
4 stars: excellent
5 stars: classic

And of those 57 reviews, 46 are rated between 2.5 and 3.5 stars. That's 80%. One page from the review section has 11 ratings on it, and every single one is either 3 stars or 3.5 stars.

What's the point of reviewing music if almost every album gets the same score?

Anyway, I'm bored with this already.

go away

4 comments:

Moaning Myrtle said...

If you're done with that cat you ranched a few years ago, I'll take her. You're on your own with the Spin magazines though....

Anonymous said...

Maybe the editors of Spin based their rating system on the law school curve.

A.v.E said...

This was a 2.5 star post.

Oliver Babbles said...

but that was a 4 star comment